Friday, April 4, 2008

The Sound of Silence

Daddy is away on business.  I think I mentioned that.  The last couple of days have been maybe just a little bit crazier and a little bit more disorganized and a little bit noisier than usual.  Last night was the icing on the cake, or should I say the cymbal on the drum set?


The boys started their own little kitchen band.  Banging away on old storage containers of my Gram's and testing out different sizes and shapes and combinations of drumsticks and sounds. I was rather impressed at their creativity for rhythm.  It actually, although loud, wasn't terrible to listen to.  Even Elle joined in with her rattle and a bouncy bum dance.  They put on quite a show for Nana Sue and Papa Paul and me.  With all the wiggling and dancing and stomping around involved, Nana thought they ought to take their show on the road!


It was also very interesting to see their personalities emerge in this little drum session.  Calvin was more methodical, testing and listening with care and purposeful choice and repetition. Tate was a maniac, banging on everything, bopping up and down, stomping his feet, growling and bashing the pans.  It was really a lovely kind of noise and a very sweet moment for me as I watched and listened and tried to just soak them in.


Today they are gone to stay with Nana and Papa for a couple of days.  Ellerie is napping and the house is eerily quiet.  The sound of silence can be sweet and sometimes, in the midst of all the daily chaos, I crave it.  But right now it feels a little empty.  I spend a lot of moments longing for a break from them, but when I get it, I almost always find I am longing for their loud, exuberant little bodies to burst through the door and yell a word even sweeter than silence....Mama.... 

No comments: