Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Recent Gift Sewing: Part 2 (The Evil Within)


So, remember yesterday when I made myself sound all sweet and thoughtful?  How I pointed out my love of gift giving and the joy that the right gift brings to giver and receiver?   Uh uh.  Not this time.  This time my gift sewing is making me feel downright selfish and evil.  

The gift is a little girl's purse with a matching headband made for a playmate from Calvin's preschool class.  It is modeled here by a sweet and cooperative bunny.  (By which I mean that no one else was sweet and cooperative.  Although modeling purses and headbands is not every little boy's gig and Ellerie doesn't really hold still when it is necessary.  Or at all)


Cute right?  Sweet vintage button closure....


Trendy and modern appliqued bird....


Headband and lining from a bright, spunky pattern.....


What, you may be asking, could be evil about that?  And here it is folks:  I DON'T WANT TO GIVE IT TO HER.  It's too cute.  It's fabulous in fact.  I am really proud of how cute and fun it is.  I'm not sure I want this to go to some little girl who we may or may not ever see again and who may have no appreciation whatsoever for it's cuteness.   Don't get me wrong, she's a nice little girl.  Calvin really loved playing with her at school.  But I'm not sure she's going to have ANY appreciation for handmade.  Bad enough that I have to go to Chucky Cheese's for this party after receiving Hannah Montana invites from a 5 year old, (hence the reason I sewed a purse and headband: 5 going on 11) but now I have to GIVE THIS AWAY?  *sigh*  I'm not sure I can do it.  It's almost enough to make me replace it with a Hannah Montana purse.  Almost.


(Here is someone else who is having some trouble giving something away.  I am trying to boost my chances of getting this gorgeous quilt from her grip.  Check out the contest and her site and store. )  

4 comments:

Artfulife said...

Hahaha, i entered the quilt giveaway also. It is truly an amazing and beautiful quilt. The purse is very cute. I don't blame you for wanting to keep it for your own, and bless your heart for braving "Satan's Lair" as I like to call Chuckie Cheeses. I really despise the place also.

Unknown said...

Cute! Love the shade of blue. What do you mean? Can't you find the "heartfelt homemade gift moment" at Chuck E Cheese when the kids are just ripping through the packages so they can go run around while the massive "man in a rat suit" shakes their hands? I wouldn't want to give it to her either! Just kidding. I've had those moments where I worried about what I'd made for a birthday party and since it didn't come from Target or Toys R Us with some obnoxious marketing tool on the front I wasn't sure they'd even look at it. Hannah Montana at 5? Yikes!

sukigirl said...

So pretty!....now I need to know, did you give it away? :0)

Elissa said...

yeah. i did. :-( and, no, there was no (as ms. thomas put it) "heartfelt homemade gift moment" SIGH.