Sunday, May 3, 2009

Temper, Temper

There is nothing like watching your child lose his temper to make you question what you are doing as a parent. I, too, have a temper. So, how much is nature and how much is nurture??? I suppose watching them develop is the only way to really tell. Part of growing up is gaining discernment about what is even worth getting angry over in the first place and then making smart choices on how you act on that anger. I like to think that, at least most of the time, I curb my temperament in front of my kids, even if I am simmering to boil over after they are out of the room. So, is Calvin like me, but just six years old? Or has he learned to be quick to blow because he sees that in me? God help us all, either way, and I mean that.

One thing I do know: a size 1 sneaker chucked at a window makes a break that looks just like Pac Man.


I also know that, even if we are quick to shatter around here, we are also quick to forgive and quick to emphasize love and justice.


So, at the end of the day, maybe it doesn't matter where our tempers come from, as long as we all try daily to make better choices and to share our struggles honestly, admit our faults and accept responsibility for our actions.

Oh, and when we are six-year-old little boys that shatter a window because we want to go to the library BEFORE Walmart, not the other way around, one way or another we pay for half the new window.

'nuff said.

4 comments:

Artfulife said...

Oh Goodness! It's nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with oversized attitudes around here. I am almost done with all this JDRF stuff & then I promise to send you a long drawn out email. Hugs and hopefully it will help to know you aren't alone in your child raising woes.

Nicola said...

oh, man! i can soooo relate. all of it...the temper, finding other ways to express it, and worrying about how and what we are passing to our children through our genes and lessons!

Erin said...

Ah, yes.. it sounds as though you definitely have a wild thing of your own and that I am most certainly not alone!

My temper is the biggest thing I have had to work on since having children. And it worries me a bit to see it in my own kids, who have a bit more difficulty restraining themselves. Although I think that it also shows strong passion and if re-focused in a positive way, can result in accomplishing great things in life!

I am also happy to hear that your family practices forgiveness. :)

Melissa Crowe said...

Amen. But I've gotta admit, the idea of going to Walmart makes me want to break windows, too. ;-)