Friday, June 25, 2010

Grateful Friday

I have been feeling much more myself lately but I can see having all three, all day, every day is going to be chaotic. I am already scheming some ways for us to get a LITTLE more structure around here. I don't want to run a boot camp (or do I?), but I can see that all of us need some discipline or summer is going to be a hot mess!

When I was feeling so discouraged a couple weeks ago, a dear blogging friend lent a listening ear. I so appreciate that. She is the Queen of Journals and one of her suggestions for me was writing down all the things that made me feel good in a day, places where I saw God at work, things that were positive as a way to concretely focus on those things. While I am always terrible with assignments (notice I haven't done "Paint with Me" now for a couple weeks?), I do love this idea. I used to do a little Friday round-up in this space when I first started blogging and I think I'd like to get back to that ritual.

So, without further ado, here are some of the things I am currently thanking God for in my little life:

1. So thankful that I can stay home with my children, in spite of the fighting and the naughtiness and the chaos, I do enjoy them. We have been splashing in the pool, doing jigsaw puzzles in our jammies and reading together. It's a good deal and I wouldn't miss it for anything.

2. Blown away and humbled by my big brother and his wife's incredible generosity.

3. Everyone is recovered from the tummy bug.

4. I was nominated again for a blogging award from Scented Sweetpeas. Thank you! I have met so many brilliant and interesting people doing this blog thing. What a cool community! If I ever get to travel I'll have lots of coffee dates lined up!

5. There are lots of promising little things blooming in the garden and I FINALLY got it weeded! (Apparently all I need to do in the front to get grass to grow is to plant a garden!)

6. Grateful for my safe little house. We felt this earthquake the other day. SO WEIRD. A strange little reminder of Haiti and all that still needs to be done there. A team from my church is joining with another church and going there soon to work. (You can follow them here, if you're interested.)

Wishing everyone a safe, happy and grateful weekend!

6 comments:

feather said...

*smile...* you are so sweet. you've now inspired ME to blog my gratitudes...perhaps even today. fridays are a good day for that, right?
so glad the earthquake didn't take you down!

One Photo said...

Glad you are continuing to feel better and are having fun with your children, although I appreciate the thoughts on needing some structure as just with one toddler home all day every day it gets exhausting endlessly playing!

I have not done either yet but there are a couple of Friday themes you might like that fit with this post, one is Feel Good Friday at The Girl Next Door Grows Up and the other is !!! which Momalom hosts on Thursdays.

Scented Sweetpeas said...

So glad the award I gave you made you smile :-) I know what you mean re having 3 at home with you all day, you really do feel out numbered don't you. I am sure they take turns to drive me insaine lol but I wouldn't be without them :-)

Jen said...

That Feather is pretty smart! I was told to do that when I was at a particularly low point in my life, and it did help. Actually, I do that exercise EVERY day when I get up to work (at 5:15am!). I usually have to mumble "At least I have a job... At least I have a job..." about 10 times before I can wipe the disgusted snarl off my morning face.

We felt the earthquake here also.

Ms. G said...

Oh my, I wasn't being very grateful this weekend was I? But one of the things I am thankful for is that I have been able to stay home with my kids too. I really do enjoy their company.
The feel good journaling is a great idea.
I really like that Ordinary Day song too: )

Nicola said...

I have loved reading about the special friendship you and Feather have. Lucky you!
And I love your grateful list. I am behind on reading blogs, even though I have continued writing on mine. I blogged gratitudes on Monday. Needed the reminder, too.
Hugs, ditto on a few of those.
Nicola