Friday, January 22, 2010

Gifts and Plans and Ramblings and Feedback

I mentioned that I used to work at a dental office, but what I didn't say about that experience was that I have never in my life worked with a better group of women than what I did at that office. Our ages probably span close to 30 years, but we get along fabulously and still keep in touch. Last night, in fact, we all went out to dinner at a fab little Italian place downtown. We were celebrating my dear friend Angela's birthday and also providing some support and encouragement as she has found herself in the midst of a very difficult time. We had a great night out talking and eating until 10 o'clock. They practically had to throw us out of the restaurant! It was a good reminder for all of us of the importance of our friends and it got me out of the house!

I forgot to take pics of all the neckwarmers I made for Christmas gifts, but I made one for Angela's birthday and remembered...



It is just like the one I made for my MIL, with a different choice of button, and based in this pattern over at Loop. I used three skeins of a chenille- like yarn. I think it was called suede or something. Hard to tell the colors from my picture, but they are cream, brown and a deep purple. Made a lovely thick, soft and warm scarf. This is one I'd like to do for myself at some point.


There has been some other knitting going on for my soon-to-be-known nephew, but I can't show any of that yet. I have all sorts of ideas for the little chap, but then, I always have IDEAS. This here is a big one. The blanket? My brother's when he was a tot.


That hole? Burned lying on a nightlight. The top of the binding is in pretty rough shape too. But what has been rolling around in my head is a way to patch that hole and maybe turn it into a little play blanket..... you know different textures and doodads to keep him interested before he REALLY gets mobil. (Not my brother, just the baby). Yesterday, I got out a bunch of stuff from my scraps and was bursting with ideas. So, since this won't be an OFFICIAL gift, whatcha think A & A?


And, while I'm seeking feedback.... Sherrie? The flash has totally brightened the colors here... they look more like the pic of the skein I sent you. Dark browns, greys, blues and purples. But how are you feeling about the stitch? The side that goes against your neck is smooth and flat.



Happy thoughts for Friday and the weekend. I'm off to try the challah dough for sticky pecan rolls from Artisan Bread, to drool for a bit over Mad Hungry (yes, it is here already!) and to tackle washing all the sheets.

4 comments:

feather said...

i love the idea of turning brother's blankie into a baby gift! i can't wait to see what you do...
the neckwarmers? well, i specifically remember pining over the one you made MIL. i believe i told you it was too sassy for your MIL. you disagreed and gave it to her anyway. drat.
you have much going on. i'm glad you got out with your gals. they are such important sounding boards for us, arent' they? i pray angela was able to use you gals and gather your encouragement to move forward...

Nicola said...

i think turning your brother's blanket into a baby gift is a fabulous and touching idea! do you have any of his baby clothes you could donate to become scattered patches (one covering the hole)?

your knitting is just gorgeous. how do you get through it? it takes me SO LONG. send me some juju, please. i am still on the same darn washcloth!

nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com

Leciawp said...

Oh how were the sticky pecan rolls? Yum!

Beautiful knitting!

Sherrie said...

LOVE it!!!!!!!