Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Golden Days of Autumn

We have been enjoying some pretty incredible November weather for these parts the last few days.  So warm and sunny you would think it was September, except in that same time period that gorgeous, gigantic, golden maple you see in the new banner photo has been dropping it's leaves like hotcakes, along with all its tree buddies.  So a large part of our outdoor enjoyment on these days has been raking.  Well, the adults raking.  The kids always start to help, but the pull of a pile of leaves is strong...




These pictures were all taken yesterday.  And we really were all having such a lovely day.  I can hardly believe that I am still able to hang anything on the line in November!  The kids played together so nicely and I felt really content in the things I was accomplishing outdoors (in spite of all the things that I was NOT accomplishing indoors!).  It felt, for a golden, fleeting afternoon, that this is how life ought to be.  For some reason, I can't always find this rhythm.   And sometimes it seems like something I am chasing that I feel everyone I admire has already found.  


But then, as we finished up our work and play, in a manner of minutes I had to deal with two diaper (or lack thereof) crisis, a brother fight, several screaming tantrums, a sick husband, an unplanned dinner, a clingy baby, and I realized that those sweet, slow melodious moments are often as fleeting as a warm November afternoon and are only a part of the rhythm of days for us.  And, I imagine, for just about everyone, including the folks that I think are there all the time.


Still....  I am happy to keep chasing them.

5 comments:

Leciawp said...

such beautiful, happy images!!

Artfulife said...

I feel the same way you do. You just explain it better than I could. I have to say that I am super envious that you hang your laundry up to dry. I wish I had a clothes line. Lucky ducky.

Unknown said...

I LOVE this post. Been there and know exactly what you mean. In fact this is the third post that I've read this morning, in a blog with a similar theme. So, what is that telling me? Anyway, if you have time read today's post on Woman In A Window and from Memorable Meanders links can be found on my blog.

Patty T said...

That is an incredible tree! What great pictures of your kiddies! I know how you feel too. Great post!

UK lass in US said...

What gorgeous photos. I need to go and find some trees that have changed colour- there MUST be SOME around here.

I need to move to a place with seasons.