Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Way it Goes, Good or Bad

Last Saturday I was supposed to attend my SIL's baby shower. I was supposed to be helping to throw it (in an I-am-just-taking-care-of-the-dessert-but-my-name-is-on-the-invitations sort of way). I was supposed to be making this cake. YUM. I was supposed to be showering my soon to be nephew with lots of baby love.

Instead, I was barfing.

The good news is that it gives me time to finish a little something I've started to give at Amy's work shower, to which I have now been invited.


And it lets little old impatient me give her the other stuff the next time I see her anyway! She knows about this bag, so I'll share it now. It's based on the instructions for this bag at Pickles and is meant to be strapped to the side of a playpen. I already made a matching pad cover for the playpen. She has my old one which is a REAL playpen, not one of those little travel beds with no room for the child to actually PLAY in. It's actually pretty cool, so maybe after the little man gets here I'll have to photo him in it so I can show off the whole package :-)

But, but, WHAT is that monstrosity that it is hanging from? And what does it have to do with my nephew's impending arrival?


IT is drying rack and has absolutely NOTHING to do with Baby What's His Name! I used it to test the hanging ability and strength of my straps and then it seemed a handy place to takes its pic. And it's got a good story, because this is the way things go around here with a handy- as -handy type daddy. Several weeks ago, I emailed my dad this picture and link. I asked "Do you think it would be pretty easy to make something like this? Would there be a way to make it open wider than those small hinges? What do you think?" The next thing I knew, he was calling me to ask me if it was okay if he used chains and did I want him to finish it in some way or did I want to do it. Mind you, when I SENT the picture I wasn't even QUITE sure what I wanted to do with it. I just had a couple ideas in my head and honestly hadn't even LOOKED at the actual dimensions. But it's getting finished and going up soon because it is SO FUN and really handy and it isn't Dad's fault that he's so amazing.

Just have to rearrange the sewing room a bit.

And finish the baby present.

And, you know, feed my kids and stuff.

Maybe sleep really is overrated.....

5 comments:

Scented Sweetpeas said...

Don't you just love it when you have a DIY Dad :-) He has done a fab job.

feather said...

i want your dad. like, for reals. he might want to relocate just in case i get to him...
oh, oops. did i just reveal my evil side. ... well, the cat's out of the bag!
love seeing your knitting projects. how did the cake go? sounds like it may have not gone at all with all the barfing and such. that stinks. and, that's gross. i wouldn't want a barfing sil making a cake for me!

Nicola said...

that bag is super cute and your dad is so amazing. yay for dads! you are going to love having a big drying rack.
can you send some sewing juju my way? it seems to be gone over here. oh and the barfing...you aren't pregnant, are you?
(sorry, couldn't resist.)
nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com

Artfulife said...

Um yes, I will need one of those in our new laundry room....when we finally get a house ;) Sorry that you were feeling so crummy. I feel for you on the barfing thing. Glad you are feeling better now :)

Sherrie said...

So I totally took this cake off your blog....did you make it? It was the biggest kitchen disaster I have had in my lifetime! At midnight it was imploding in my kitchen. I went to bed extremely dejected! Woke this morning to tackle it and fix it. It ended up a 2 layer with a thick bit of truffle in the middle and I used the leftover jam glaze as a drizzle rather than the pecans. It was devoured at the chili cookoff tonight :-)