Thursday, May 8, 2008

Random New Skills

Well, I've been having computer troubles.  Between that and forgetting my camera on a very important excursion to my dearest friends' place, I haven't had a great deal of ability or motivation to post.  We had a lovely weather day earlier this week though and enjoyed an afternoon outside with some friends.  And, boy oh boy, these kids never cease to amaze me.  This, right here, is Tate's first time outright writing his name.  He wrote it upside down (by which I mean that he was writing from above the tops of the letters) and they are a complete mirror image.  He had no prompting and I have never practiced letters with him.  He approaches things SO differently than his big brother.  Calvin was always "show me, show me" a million times before he would do something himself and is (still) always wanting it just so.  Tate, as typical, just pulled this out of nowhere.  Independent,  and stubbornly NOT wanting to learn the "right" way to do the letters from his big brother.


And Calvin had a surprise for me that day too.  He has randomly learned how to drop kick a soccer ball.  Now, it's not that I think this is necessarily the most difficult skill ever.  But I am just always impressed at his natural physical ability with all things round.  We don't have either of them in any kind of organized sport (yet) and the only lessons I have felt inclined to pay for are swimming.  But here he is, and it just makes me smile.


Ellerie is here trying to show off her new found "skills" as well.  She has actually made some pretty good attempts at going UP the slide.  I wonder who she saw doing that?  But I really put in the picture to show off her pants.  They are, by far, the nicest and cutest pants I have made for her.  I cut them out of a BEAUTIFUL pair of plus sized J Jill pants that my mother found at a thrift store.  They are a lovely high quality fabric.  I made use of the already cuffed hems and put some patch pockets on the bum with some of the lining/hidden pocket fabric.  I always seem to love those fabrics and really liked seeing them on the outside!

Mmmmm...  a strawberry and cheese cracker picnic with friends.  No new skills here, but there are some old ones that are always fun to hone. 


1 comment:

beemahoney said...

I love the pictures! Tate has amazing writing skills, really! and look at Calvin with his soccer skills - you must know he'd be good at this, I mean, look at his Mama's legs - we just didn't have youth soccer when we were little. Ellie is just perfect no matter what she's doing!