Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Slippery Slope

I've never really been anywhere to go sledding. Sort of funny, considering I live in snow country. But, growing up, my parents had property and hills. Some of my friends' parents had property and hills. I think, only once, did I ever go to a park for sledding and that was when I was a teenager. My kids have been sledding, but also at my parents and some years we've had so much snow we've just built a hill in the back yard! So, when friends invited us for an MLK Day afternoon at a local hill, I wasn't sure what to expect.

What we found was a beautiful and slickly packed hill on a warming afternoon and a whole lot of kids. We had a little storm over the weekend (Oddly, the only of the season this year) and already the temps were rising again and turning the run into an almost icy slant. Today it is raining and slush abounds but a whole lot of people had the right idea yesterday: enjoy it while it's here!


There were a few collisions and a LOT of bumps, spinning sleds and tumbles, but mostly there were brave and daring kiddos


happy smiles


and some learning to steer and stop.


I suppose we'll be forced to do this again. ;-)

4 comments:

Jen said...

Looks like fun! I like the new blog design.

Ms. G said...

Don't you miss another chance. That's the right kind of life in the fast lane. We have only had a chance to do this once on a trip, 14 years ago, and we still have that saucer stored Just In Case!

Sherrie said...

Shawn and Kathy have not taken you to Pine Hill? I myself have only been once and I was married with no kids at the time. I am NOT a winter lover in any remote corner of my being, but PineHill is legendary here. And now Bullard has a great hill too.

UK lass in US said...

I lived on a hill back home, with a great little open sloped field just around the corner. It would only take a hint of snow on the ground before people would be dragging out their sledges. I loved those days.

These days the nearest sledging area is about 2 hours away... pah.