Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Breathe

Things have been happening around here, but I don't write. I don't even have time to type this now but days are speeding by and no matter where I put my energy I feel like I am missing something. T-ball and baseball have started, neighborhood playdates and cookouts have started, outdoor projects are being worked on and piling up. Laundry and dishes continue to rule my days. It is the end of the fiscal year at my "job" and the final two weeks before VBS at my church where I help serve on the directors team. I have tried to start, in an attempt to stop feeling SADLY out of shape and to avoid having to buy a whole new size of clothing for my bum to fit in, working out again. It's good, but hard and one more thing in my day.


Last weekend I was at the craft store buying some VBS supplies. I had a cute little blonde teenage checkout girl. She said "I like your t-shirt," with a perky smile. She was notably lacking in smile lines and wrinkles. "Thank you," I smiled back. Well that was nice. I was already feeling pretty hip for painting my toenails a flashy purple earlier in the week. (I won't mention that mostly I just felt hip for ACTUALLY painting my toenails. ahem.)


"Yeah," she added, " that 'Life is Good' stuff is like all my mom wears."

And there it is.
SIGH.


9 comments:

Ms. G said...

Hey now. I got my T shirt and a back pack but I don't have awesome purple toenails, or currently painted ones....We should be sympathetic to the young lady who has to live in the shadow of a mom who is one of the cool chicks ; )

Jen said...

You want to feel better about your hip self? This week, after messing up my toenail (about 2 years ago) it finally "grew out" to the point that I have two "normal" big toe nails. You would have thought I won the lottery by my level of excitement. I might have to get some of that purple nail polish. I'm not sure I'm hip enough to pull that off though. :)

Melissa Crowe said...

A. I have the pink Life Is Good tee with the daisy on it.
B. I LOVED VBS as a kid--my favorite thing was the time I wore a tissue paper butterfly costume and sang "I just thank you, Lord, for making me meeeeeee...."
C. My toenails are currently painted (and chipped) purple. No joke.

Artfulife said...

Oh you crack me up. I wish I could rock a cool shirt. All mine are black. I wear them in a failed attempt to hide my out of shape belly. It doesn't work very well though. The other day Aris asked when I was going to have the baby that's in my belly. Sigh, lol!

beemahoney said...

I love this!!!! you are super hip though you know -

Baby By The Sea said...

Ha! At least they didn't say, "I like your mom jeans." I'm sure you look super hip in your purple polish.

feather said...

ditto.

and...miss you, girl!

Nicola said...

LMAO. Yeah, that is how I feel too. Love your toes. As one 30-something to another!

UK lass in US said...

They just don't know when to stop talking, do they?

I've been told that I have a doppelganger at the gym. Except that she is younger. Now I'm always hoping that I don't run into the younger and better version of myself...

Maybe I should attempt to paint my toenails.