Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cleveland



We are back from a nice mini-vacation to stay with my cousin. We had a great time and there are so many things I want to remember. Upon our arrival Ellerie took note of the vintage pink toilet in the half-bath and exclaimed with glee "They have a pink POTTY! (pause) It's wonderful being here."

We took the kids bowling for the first time. Hysterical. Ellerie LITERALLY bowled a ball at 1 mph and this picture below is of the ball she actually STOPPED in the lane. Right there. She even managed such a slow ball at one point that, even though she knocked down the head pin, it just rolled to the left and went around all the rest of them. We were all better at Wii bowling. The boys were in heaven with Wii and Xbox and a ton of fun games. And, even though my Wii-fit age was 7 years higher than my actual age, ahem, I really like the Wii. Super fun.


I also saw my first 3D movie "Despicable Me." We don't get out to the movies much. You know, like, ever. Wish it weren't so expensive, but made it more fun to GO to the movies rather than rent.


The video gaming wasn't being limited very much due to the nature of the word "vacation" and Tate had a little trouble disconnecting from his Lego Indiana Jones game on Saturday. All the kids were running on much less sleep than normal. That didn't help either. Tate spent his time at the Cleveland Zoo performing his rendition of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: alternately "oohing and ahhing over things, especially the fish,


and sitting down or screaming in protest that he hated the place and just wanted to go home and finish his level.


Ellerie's favorites were the "pink guys."
"What are the pink guys called Ellerie?"
"FING-GINGOS!!!"


Back at the house, Calvin taught himself to play Mary had a Little Lamb on the piano. This was great because we got to hear it a lot. Played, sang, pounded out. Over and over. One night as I laid down with Elle to get her to sleep, she chatted away about anything and everything to keep herself awake. I kept saying "Last thing Ellie, you need to go to sleep." Finally I just said "Good NIGHT ELLERIE."
E: Mommy, Mommy, one. last. more. thing.
me: yes?
E: Ummmm. I. don't know WHHHYYY Mary had a little lamb.


Sunday was the Cleveland Botanical Gardens. They had so much fun stuff for kids there. And lots of fun ideas for reusing things in an outdoor garden, including old bikes, sinks, toilets, bottles and painted ceiling fans.




I even got to see my dear friend Jennifer. We grew up together and now only manage once a year or so, but I was so pleased to have her meet the kids FINALLY and get to see her for a bit.


We really had an enjoyable time in spite of the moments of whining and overtired mouthiness from the kids. Mostly they were good.


Now today? That's entirely a different story.

SIGH.

5 comments:

blue china studio happy said...

Your vacation sounds like so much fun! Great memories made.

Jen said...

Cool bowling shoes! I can't believe the ball stopped! Ha! Love the way she says Flamingos. I think Dylan says it all wrong also.
Glad you enjoyed it!

One Photo said...

Hi Elissa

I am so glad you got to have such a wonderful little vacation, it sounds like heaven and catching up with an old good friend, that us just wonderful. I cannot believe the bowling ball actually stopped either!

Lovely photos as always.

One Photo said...

Hi Elissa

I am so glad you got to have such a wonderful little vacation, it sounds like heaven and catching up with an old good friend, that us just wonderful. I cannot believe the bowling ball actually stopped either!

Lovely photos as always.

Scented Sweetpeas said...

What a fab time, the pink toilet comment made me laugh! We recently went to a wedding where the portaloo had classical music playing and as middle sweetpea sat down she exclaimed 'oohh they play music whilst you wee and they have put leaflets in here just for me to read' (she loves to read on the loo - odd). To make you feel better, my Wii age was about 80! I haven't been on it since - how rude! lol