Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy Birthday Thelma!

Today is my sister Kathleen's birthday. So a few weeks ago, when her dear friend Sherrie asked me to make her a doll for her big day, I was thrilled! Make my sister a doll? Super fun commission. And here she is, accessories and all!


But, there was a hitch to the request. The doll was not to be named Kathy, but Thelma. At some point in their friendship, my brother-in-law dubbed them "Thelma and Louise." Truth be told, the thought of my sister as "Thelma" made me crack up. But, OH, the possibilities! Should she have acid washed jeans? Too much eyeshadow? A pistol?

In the end, the pistol was a must and Thelma was born.

It's hard to see, but the "T" embroidered on her shirt is sort of curly in a Laverne (and Shirley) sort of way. An homage to "doin it her way." And we certainly couldn't do without the big hair and sunglasses!


The Thelma accessories were so much fun to do but, in the end, the sweet Kathy side is my favorite.


Hope you have a lovely day Sis (you know, shooting an episode of "Community") and I have a little something for you from ME if we make it tomorrow... ear infections pending.

Yup, there's always something.

12 comments:

Melissa Crowe said...

Oh, this cracked me UP! Nice work!

Artfulife said...

Love it! You crack me up!

"Louise" said...

Liss, Thank you so much for helping me give my wonderful friend a fun, personalized birthday gift! I wish that you could have seen her face, first when she saw your name on the return address of the box....and then when she saw the doll. Perfect! It was fun collaborating with you!You went above and beyond my imagination!

Nicola said...

happy birthday to your sister!
elissa, the dolls are awesome!
did you use a pattern or did you make them up?
nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com

Dana said...

AWESOME. For soooo many reasons.

twomed said...

fantastic, elissa.

Leciawp said...

This is awesome Elissa!!! Totally cracks me up. And happy birthday to your sister!

Patty T said...

Ha, ha! Too funny! I have a "Thelma and Louise" friend as well. This cracked me up! The gun, the hair. Funny.

Kerry said...

I love this! My favorite part is the whole alter-ego thing. She can change it up whenever she is feeling sassy! Such a fun and special gift!

Anna said...

A-dorable! Love it, love it.

beemahoney said...

Awesome! - been a while since I've said that outloud...can only imagine the alter ego's our own dolly's might be...hmmm...

jen said...

hee hee! so fun! i love all the little accessories, makes her extra special. :)