Friday, July 24, 2009

From the Gardens

This past week has been busy with running the boys to vbs each morning and trying to remind myself how to do this job of mine after a few days off. My dear husband treated me by digging out my back garden while I was gone! And my thoughtful MIL had the kids make these sweet handprint tiles for me




in addition to getting me started on still more perennials. I seeded a whole bunch of things as well, so it will be fun to see what manages to make its way up.


In our little veggie garden, a lot of things are growing, but not ready. We picked some nice zucchini this week though and enjoyed it in a recipe from the website for Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.




The recipe from that site is, as follows:


A Year of Food Life

Barbara Kingsolver with Steven L. Hopp and Camille Kingsolver


DISAPPEARING ZUCCHINI ORZO

¾ lb pkg orzo pasta (multicolored is fun)

Bring 6 cups water or chicken stock to a boil and add pasta. Cook 8 to 12

minutes

1 chopped onion, garlic to taste

3 large zucchini

olive oil for sauté

Use a cheese grater or mandoline to shred zucchini, sauté briefly with chopped

onion and garlic until lightly golden.

thyme

oregano

¼ cup grated parmesan or any hard yellow cheese

Add spices to zucchini mixture, stir thoroughly, and then remove mixture from

heat.

Combine with cheese and cooked orzo, salt to taste, serve cool or at room

temperature.



While rejected by the kids (tasted briefly, but rejected), Mike and I enjoyed it. Good with a little red pepper... and for you meat eating types, sausage.


3 comments:

Nicola said...

i am about to pick up that book on audio CD from the library! i love the hand print tiles! so sweet.
nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com

Artfulife said...

Your yard is looking so lovely. So fun to see the work in progress.

Dana said...

Your yard is really coming along! Whew!! Great work!

Love the garden stones too.